"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Not Scheming

Mark Baker suggests about web description languages...

I generally think it's a bad idea to describe the data produced using a schema since schemas generally (DaveO's excellent extensibility advice notwithstanding) change foreseeably over time, and I don't want a change in the schema produced by a service breaking clients if I can help it. Instead, I'm more a fan of simply using a media type as a name for an open-ended sequence of backwards-compatible schemas (think "text/html" vs. HTML 2.0, 3.2, 4.01, etc..), as well as, of course, associating an extensible processing model to that media type to accomodate as many unanticipated extensions as possible over time.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.