"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Whither Object Databases

Jonathan Robie, in an interview with Jon Udell, captures the reason for failure of the object database market better than any explanation I've seen...

JR: OQL is a nice language. The grammar of XQuery has benefitted a lot from it, and some of the implementation has too. Of course, it wasn't commercially relevant for the object database vendors to implement OQL in any kind of complete way.

JU: Because?

JR: Every object database had a different market, and a different model, and people weren't looking for interoperability between ObjectStore and POET, because why would you use them for the same thing?

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.