"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Monday, February 05, 2007

WS-DCOM

Tim Bray writes...

WS-*? In the real world, it’s about being able to interoperate with WCF, and while that’s a worthwhile thing, that’s all it’s about. It’s not like HTTP or TCP/IP, truly interoperable frameworks, it’s like DCOM; the piece of Windows’ network-facing surface that Microsoft would like you to code to. For now, anyhow; it’ll be at least as easy as DCOM to walk away from when the embarrassment gets too great.
Which is the way it should be, since SOAP essentially exists because DCOM was even worse.

1 comment:

asbjornu said...

SOAP and WSDL is definately a step in the right direction, but when the reference for WS-* compatibility isn't mandated by a standard but by a single vendor's implementation (namely Microsoft's WCF), the interoperability improvements from DCOM aren't that great. Yes, it's now more transparent and we have more implementations, but interoperability hasn't improved that much since the DCOM days.

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.