"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Delaying The Inevitable

Dan Creswell on a few of the ways we developers paint ourselves into a corner...

Every time we assume we can keep all our data in a single memory or database (even if it’s a cluster) we’re embedding assumptions into our software that will be broken come the day we must partition across multiple memories or databases.

Each time we choose an algorithm that doesn’t easily partition or assumes a single memory/database we’re storing up trouble in our data and computational models.

In big monolithic systems it’s possible to create (by force) a never-fails environment which allows developers to ignore various edge cases.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.