"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 23, 2008

Matthias Felleisen speaking at Portland State University on June 2

Just rec'd the following announcement on the pdxfunc email list...


Matthias Felleisen is speaking at PSU a week from Monday (June 2). The
talk is open to the public.

"The First Year in Computer Science"
Matthias Felleisen
Northeastern University
2nd June, 16:40–18:00
Location: Hoffman Hall Rm 109, Portland State University
Abstract

My team and I have developed an alternative approach to the first-year courses on programming and computing. Unlike conventional approaches, ours focuses on designing programs in a systematic manner. The syntax of the chosen programming languages (both Java and Scheme) is only discussed as needed to support design principles.

Field tests with over 500 high schools and a dozen colleges have shown that the approach produces better students than conventional approaches that use a single language.

In several controlled studies, we could also show that students find our curriculum more appealing than the AP curriculum.

In my talk, I will provide an overview of the project, especially its intellectual premises and principles. My goal is to encourage you to think about the first year in a different way. The old ones are of questionable value. If we want our beautiful discipline to survive, we must find a good way of teaching it."

http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~colloq/felleisen-firstYear.html for more information.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would LOVE to hear him talk... if only I lived anywhere remotely near.

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.