"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 20, 2004

AS/400 and Smalltalk

Richard Demers connects the IBM AS/400 (which has an object/capability based OS) and Smalltalk.

The AS/400 is an interesting animal. Actually, seven years ago Dave Thomas (founder of OTI, bought by IBM) gave a keynote talk to Gemstone's company meeting. There he suggested that Gemstone Smalltalk be ported to the AS/400.

I am not sure the suggestion was seriously discussed at the executive level. The company shortly after decided to take on IBM, Sun, and Oracle in the Java/J2EE market. (This was before Weblogic made a name for itself.) And the rest is history... Smalltalk is still their cash cow.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.