"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2004

Inversion of Control

Folks are trying to push back the history of the notion "Inversion of Control".

I can't recall the phrase itself, but the notion goes back at least into the late 1980s when the object-oriented community was talking about "libraries" (you call it) vs. "frameworks" (it calls you), e.g. Designing Reusable Classes, Johnson and Foote, 1988.

I bet the essence of IoC was also expressed by Peter Deutsch in 1983's "Reusability in the Smalltalk-80 Programming System". I can't remember if this paper actually used the term "framework". But that was a main point, and draws on the Smalltalk work they did at PARC in the 1970s, including the first "famous" inversion of control, Model View Controller, with Trygve Reenskaug

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.