"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 28, 2007

That Sinking Feeling

Bill de hÓra writes about the umpteen billion dollars sunk into Vista...

more backseat driving - does anyone outside MSFT understand what it takes to get the OS done at all?
I don't think it is a matter of comprehending how difficult the work is. It is a matter of comprehending the value of doing that work. They are on the wrong track. There is little value in what they've done. The real losers will be those who will have no choice but to fork over big bucks to MSFT.

Far and away MSFT will recover its costs through "update-by-force" rather than "update-by-choice".

I would hate to have *that* as my customer base.

(Update: fixed broken link to Bill's post. Thanks James.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There was a blog thread similar to this where one [now ex] MS developer talked about how long it takes to integrate development code to reach a complete build in the Windows OS development process. I found the response from an Apple technician particularly interesting in that Apple is able to integrate code for a complete build in one week [1]!

That is an amazing feat and probably one that adds to the stability of Mac OS X. Don't get me wrong, it has its own problems as an OS of course.

[1] http://arno.org/blog/2006/11/design-of-mac-os-x-shutdown-feature.html

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.