"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 09, 2003

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Sam Ruby writes, referring to the original Smalltalk refactoring browser...

[The] key question in my mind is not when such things converge in the laboratory, but when will such things converge in the mainstream?

I know it's a relatively small market, but Lisp and Smalltalk have been out of the lab for years. IBM's direction before Sun's introduction of Java was clearly aimed at Smalltalk and they were having a good deal of success with it.

There is no doubt that the Smalltalk refactoring browser was first. (Reading Martin Fowler's book will back the claim.)

But when the RB came out, it was aimed at, used, and ultimately made the de facto choice for commercial Smalltalk development.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.