"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 04, 2004

Databases for coordination

Jim writes...

The plain truth is, not that many projects really need complex distribution mechanisms. Most apps look a lot like this:

  • Read data from a store (db, files, etc)
  • Modify data
  • Dump data back to the store

I think we have gotten too far away from this wisdom. The typical database has distribution and coordination built in. That means for the most part you get to write your application in isolation. The database also to serves to coordinate the application's own actions.

We need to get back to the future and look at how to simplify coordination and not just message passing. Databases are a coordination mechanism for one or more applications, and one mechanism is better than two.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.