"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2004

Webmin and Usermin

What is Webmin?

Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix [including Linux]. Using any browser that supports tables and forms (and Java for the File Manager module), you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and so on.

Webmin consists of a simple web server, and a number of CGI programs which directly update system files like /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/passwd. The web server and all CGI programs are written in Perl version 5, and use no non-standard Perl modules.

What is Usermin?
Usermin is a web interface that can be used by any user on a Unix system to easily perform tasks like reading mail, setting up SSH or configuring mail forwarding. It can be thought of as a simplified version of Webmin designed for use by normal users rather than system administrators.

Like Webmin, Usermin consists of a simple web server, and a number of CGI programs which directly update user config files like ~/.cshrc and ~/.forward. The web server and all CGI programs are written in Perl version 5, and use only the non-standard Authen::PAM perl module.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.