"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2004

A world without... ACLs!

Marc Stiegler in the e-lang mail list...

It is possible to visualize a capability-based world in which the human being remembers one and only one pass phrase, the phrase that unlocks all his capabilities on his personal machine. This pass phrase would never be sent over the wire, never be shared with anybody. It would be used solely to to enable the human to authenticate himself to his computer. From there on, ACLs need not apply. Hallelujah.
Alan Karp's site password is an interesting approximation of this idea.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.