"I have a mind like a steel... uh... thingy." Patrick Logan's weblog.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Apollo

I've enjoyed reading Steve's posts and articles for a while. His latest is somewhat of a shockwave. An entertaining shockwave, the best kind...

The ESB becomes like one of those tools you see on late-night TV, where it’s a screwdriver and a hammer and a wrench and fishing reel and a paint brush, and plus you can flip it over and it can make you a grilled cheese sandwich. Of course, such tools always end up not doing any of those things particularly well.
But more than that he's former Apollo, which is way up on my list of lost treasures. Aegis / Domain/OS was a joy...
AEGIS was distinctive mainly for being designed for the networked computer, as distinct from its competitors, which were essentially standalone systems with added network features. The prime examples of this were the file system, which was fully integrated across machines, as opposed to Unix which even now draws a distinction between file systems on the host system and on others, and the user administration system, which was fundamentally network-based.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember isolating a bug in DomainOS circa 1988. Insecure as all hell, but a dream to develop on.

Blog Archive

About Me

Portland, Oregon, United States
I'm usually writing from my favorite location on the planet, the pacific northwest of the u.s. I write for myself only and unless otherwise specified my posts here should not be taken as representing an official position of my employer. Contact me at my gee mail account, username patrickdlogan.